Friday, October 13, 2017

The Story of Not Buying Fabric This Year

I decided a month back, that I have enormous stash at least on my scale (something around 150-200yards). And it seemed an easy thing: I have real nice things, I bought several taupe ones for my Yoko Saito which will take minimum a year to finish, so it is settled.
Then life was not only knocking on the door, but it used a warhammer: the fabric store at the corner closes (Szent Istvan krt for my readers in Budapest), and they have clearance - all fabric at half price. And they were not extremely expensive to begin with. The only 'good' thing that they already sold out their original quilt supply, so the temptation came in the form of solid and a very few other ones.
So I bought what you can see here, and I was trying to stay on the low amount side - are 30yards qualify? And I will return only on the last week to chech what else is available...

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Falling leaves on the wall

I have finished Falling leaves and I am quite happy with this. This is my first own design 'art quilt' and I think it turned out just I imagined.
It is interesting how much does it change during the process. I was originally started with some tornado type thing taking the leaves, but this mismatch is much better. Originally I used several leaf types but having one is better. I was also planning to go without borders, but the materials were too small and I wanted to work from stash, and so on an so forth.
So this was my first but definitely not my last!

Monday, October 2, 2017

Fall(ing) leaves

Fall is coming, and I was thinking changing our wallhanging in the dining room for something in this mode. I went through pinterest, could not find anything useful, but all those beautiful photos triggered a new idea: beige/brown stripes like a foggy October morning, with colorful leaves whirling in the wind. In real life the colors a litther lighter and cheerier, this photo is a little depressed one.

I wanted something more on the modern side, so I came up with this top. It was a real quick process,  took only a day to design and sew, the longes time was the fabric audition. I used the photo add-on on my phone to get the values right: both the grayscale and tones version helped to choose the right ones. Unfortunately the middle stripe was too small, and when I saw the final result I added a border. It took away some of the modern feeling, but at least not too small. Maybe I will prepare another one with the right measures, but I promised myself not to by new fabric this year, so this is what I will have.


Falling Leaves - own design

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Wip list

After the last months' finishing marathon there are only 4 projects in my wip basket. 2 Chatelaines (Winter Watergarden 78% and Pomarium10%), the holiday piece from Victoria Sampler (Heirloom Nativity Sampler 95%), and the Stitches around the World (5%).

Winter Watergarden just got to the present very good shape: 3/4 is ready, and since some floss was significantly longer I have finished them, therefore the 78%. I was thinking on finishing it entirely, but after some contemplation I opted for changing it and move with my rotation to Pomarium.

I am seriously thinking what to do with the Around the World piece. I really liked the progress photos and generally I enjoy speciality stitches and samplers. However, it took me quite a long time to start, and I have stitched only a tiny bit and gave up. I will give it another go and if I still do not like it then I will stop it entirely.

For my Nativity I am waiting for a travelling long weekend to have a proper finish: it was always my companionpiece for our holidays, I never stitched it at home.



Winter is coming (along nicely)

After my finishing frenzy I took Winter Watergarden out. I made some progress during the summer, and now I finished the 3rd gate and the little garden next to it, only one birdie is missing to have 3/4th finish. I am planning to do that during the weekend, and then I will move over to Pomarium if I do not find it too intimidating. I am also thinking on sewing a fall themed wall hanging, with colorful falling leaves flying in the wind on some neutral background - maybe this also will be part of the weekend crafting.

Chatelaine: Winter Watergarden
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast


One more quilt from the past - a big one!

I just realised I have not posted this version of the Irish Chain. Maybe you remember I did not like the too busy original design, and I made 2 of the precut parts adding some white background and petals. One went to my sister-in-law, one to my parents, an this is the one what I have never showed to you.


Irish Chain with a Twist (simplified version 2)

Friday, September 29, 2017

Simplified Love entwined finished

I have finished and quilted my Love Entwined based quilt. I went for hearths, what I do not think was the best choice, but this is how it is now - I will not change it for sure!  I have started it in 2013, and I have never thought how big the project is, and I changed my mind after the first few parts. But at least it is ready, and it will be a present for my parents 44th wedding anniversary. It goes well with a bedcover I gave them a few years back, the materials mostly similar. I hope they will like it.




Love Entwined based quilt design by me